Food for chemotherapy
What to eat while doing chemotherapy and the end of the chemotherapy sessions
What should eat a patient undergoing chemotherapy?
Improve mood with food
Improving mood requires the body to have enough energy and nutrients. The best source of energy comes from cereals and tubers, that can be dressed with a healthy stream of olive oil accompanied by protein foods.
Foods rich in carbohydrates, besides provide, besides fiber (which helps improve intestinal flora and increase defences), B vitamins, which are energy functions and tones the nervous system. From this food group, we recommended:
White rice is better than brown. the latter one may cause flatulence in some people. Rice can be cooked in soup, cream, mashed, boiled take, etc.
- Garlic: Garlic is one of the most medicinal foods. It strengthens the arteries, improve circulation and help remove toxins from the body. (Eat boiled garlic, add the boiling water, or eat raw or canned garlic). People who can not tolerate garlic can get similar benefits from onions or radishes.
- Potatoes are highly recommended boiled or steamed. They can be mixed in all kinds of preparations (purees, salad, etc.).
- Protein-rich foods: Proteins provide us amino acids, which are essential to form new cells and neurotransmitters.
Photograph of two people in a botanical garden. In treating cancer it is recommended to suppress stress.
For example, a food that provides proteins at each meal will help to form more serotonin, a neurotransmitter that improves mood and combats insomnia. These foods should be taken at each meal, and you have to add them in purees, creams or soups.
Patients under chemotherapy are recommended to take easily digestible proteins such as:
- White fish (low fat): hake, monkfish, fresh cod, bream, etc.
- White cooked egg (preferably boiled)
- Processed cheese, low-fat cheese, etc.
- Other options are: Slices of chicken, ham, gelatin desserts, shrimp tails, etc.
- Pasta, bread and other cereals: Bread rusks are very digestible (bread that is cooked under controlled temperature and has not come to burn, very digestive). Bread pulp, if tolerated, is also very suitable. "Egg pasta" is recommended, because it has more protein.
- Vegetable Beverages: Vegetable drinks constitute a good way to hydrate but also to obtain certain nutrients like protein. Organic soy drink is recommended, because it provides a certain amount of protein. Oats drink is also a good alternative. Rice drink is low in protein, but it is very appropriate when there is indigestion.
Turmeric to strengthen the body
Scientific studies have shown that turmeric helps improve the health of the body and repair the damage caused by the medication.
Specifically, it could help correct the damage to the heart and kidneys caused by doxorubicinn from chemotherapy.
Food for fatigue
- Pollen: Pollen is a nutritional supplement that increases appetite and helps you feel you posses more strength, energy and vigour. Moreover, these grains contain many carotenoids with antioxidant properties.
- Fruit juices and smoothies: It is very convenient to take fruit juices or smoothies from fruit and vegetables throughout the day. These beverages and liquids, provide energy, minerals and many vitamins. Among the most suitable we have liquefied carrot and apple; carrot and pear or apple and pear. To these we can ad some pollen.
More information on cancer and food in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.