Diet for ringing in the ear
Nutrition for tinnitus
Many experiments have been conducted in people who have been subjected to high-fat animal diets in comparison with other taking very small amounts of these kind of fats. It has been shown that those who ate little animal fat had less trouble hearing, presenting minor hearing loss, tinnitus or even a lower frequency of ear infections, such as inner an outer otitis.
Many hypotheses have been postulated on these results. The two that seem most sustained are those that suggest that plant foods contain more antioxidants that can counterbalance the negative effects that free radicals have on the health of the ear.
It has also been mentioned the role that fat, especially saturated fat plays in this aspect. There are many who believe that excess of fat accumulates in blood vessels of the ear obstructing normal blood flow. By not receiving the adequate intake of nutrients, the ear is more likely to become sick.
Among people who suffer from ringing in the ears, there is a very high rate of obesity and cholesterol, two anomalies that are closely related to fat consumption. People who lose weight and reduce their cholesterol usually resolve or show an improvement in their hearing problems.
Suitable foods for tinnitus or ringing in the ear
Among the main food for the treatment of tinnitus include the following:
- Foods rich in vitamin B for tinnitus: whole cereals (wheat, oats, barley, etc.), nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts) vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, radishes, endive, lettuce…) yeast, etc.
- Foods rich in vitamin C for tinnitus: oranges, lemons, peppers, cauliflowers, radishes, Brussels sprouts, spinach, bananas, apples, melons, watermelons, carrots, pineapples, pears, papayas, barley, garlic, berries, celery, peas, strawberries, grapes, figs, beans, chicory, blueberries, potatoes, avocados, soybeans, cherimoyas, pomegranates, coconuts, etc.
- Foods rich in vitamin A for tinnitus: carrots, purslane, spinach, watercress, borage, squash, tomatoes, coriander, asparagus, dandelion, peppers, watermelon, melon, brussels sprouts, bananas, apples, plums, oranges, raspberries, mangos, beans, etc.
- Selenium-rich foods for tinnitus: squash, barley, grapes, garlic, oats, peaches, corn, soybean, pistachios, Brazil nuts, asparagus or spinach.
- Foods rich in zing for tinnitus: spinach, celery, asparagus, borage, figs, potatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- Potassium-rich foods for tinnitus: Especially bananas, nuts or potatoes, etc.
Non-suitable foods for tinnitus or ringing in the ear
Among the non-recommended food for the treatment of tinnitus we can especially include the following:
- High-fat food: It is very important to minimize food containing fats because they promote obesity.
Fatty meat, butter, whole milk and whole dairy products (cheese, creams, yogurts, curdles etc) should be replaced by other protein sources such as legumes and nuts.
(More information about obesity diet)
- High-cholesterol food: We should avoid to the maximum consumption of fatty foods from animal origin, rich in saturated fats because they increase levels of low density cholesterol (LDL)
Vegetable oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil and rapeseed oils will replace animal fats in the kitchen. If you do not want to dispense altogether with the meat, it is best to eat lean meat such as chicken, or use blue fish (sardines, mackerel, salmon, tuna, etc.).
Blue fish is very rich in omega 3 fatty acids which reduce the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the level of “good” cholesterol (HDL), so that they can thin the blood.
- Too much refined foods: Refined food in general is not as adequate as whole food because it contains much smaller amounts of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Besides, in regard to the health of the ear, it has been found that whole foods are much more suitable because they also promote the dissolution and removal of earwax and debris deposited in the ear canal.
They are more difficult to chew and this need for greater chewing causes more movement in the area of the ear which prevents earwax compaction, which can be the reason for numerous auditory abnormalities, such as loss of hearing, wax earplugs or tinnitus.
- Toxic substances : The consumption of toxic substances like alcohol, tobacco, may aggravate this anomaly that improves when we stop eating these products.
More information about plant-based remedies.
18 November, 2020