- 1 MEDICINAL PLANTS AND OTHER REMEDIES FOR COLON CANCER
- 1.1 Prevention of colon cancer
- 1.2 Guidelines for primary prevention of colon cancer
- 1.3 Prebiotic foods for colon cancer
- 1.4 Probiotic foods for colon cancer
- 1.5 What are the properties of lactobacillus?
- 1.6 Wholegrain cereals for colon cancer
- 1.7 Vitamins for colon cancer
- 1.8 Quercetin for colon cancer
- 1.9 Minerals for colon cancer
- 1.10 Algae for colon cancer
- 1.11 Species or condiments for colon cancer
- 1.12 Nutritional supplements for colon cancer
- 1.13 More plants with anticancer substances
MEDICINAL PLANTS AND OTHER REMEDIES FOR COLON CANCER
Prevention of colon cancer
To make a correct prevention against colon cancer, we must take into account both the food we eat regularly and our lifestyle.
Guidelines for primary prevention of colon cancer
- No smoking, no alcohol, etc.
- Performing physical exercise increases the speed of the intestinal rhythm.
- Performing a balanced and varied diet, especially rich in foods and plants to prevent colon cancer:
Prebiotic foods for colon cancer
Fiber is fermented by the bacterial flora of the colon. These bacteria produce a short chain fatty acid called butyrate (among other short chain fatty acids and medium chain fatty acids). Butyrate lowers PH, which prevents us from neoplasias in the colon produced by carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds.
It has prebiotic effect and also controls the volume, consistency, pressure and evacuation speed of stool.
It is recommended to increase the consumption of some foods rich in fiber such as artichokes (rich in inulin), thistles, peas, soybeans (soy milk, tofu), beans and other legumes, which facilitate intestinal transit, besides giving us its anti-cancer properties.
Probiotic foods for colon cancer
Eating yogur can prevent colon cancer
Probiotics are foods that contain or are formed by living microorganisms, which exert a beneficial effect on our body. Make a diet rich in bifidobacteria and lactobacillus, eating foods like yogurt.
What are the properties of bifidobacteria?
- They control the balance of the intestinal system.
- Improve the diarrhea states produced by viruses, such as gastroenteritis, and others caused by bacteria, such as traveler’s diarrhea.
- It improves the symptomatology of chronic diseases with intestinal inflammatory characteristics, like irritable colon.
What are the properties of lactobacillus?
- They control the balance of the intestinal system.
- Improve diarrhea caused by antibiotics, radiation and other treatments.
- Improves constipation.
- Decreases lactose intolerance.
- Stimulates immunity.
Wholegrain cereals for colon cancer
Eating whole cereals, like oats, is a good way to prevent colon cancer
Cereals and their nutritional properties differ greatly depending on whether they have been refined or not. To make a preventive feeding for colon cancer, we must ingest those that have not been processed, that is, whole grains that are high in nutrients and in fiber. Examples of recommended cereals are whole wheat, barley or oats.
Vitamins for colon cancer
- Some foods rich in vitamin E are green leafy vegetables such as watercress, wheat germ, vegetable oils such as flaxseed oil, nuts and seeds such as flaxseed.
- Fruits such as pears, citrus fruits such as oranges, red berries such as raspberries and berries such as cranberry or goji berries, are foods rich in antioxidants and fiber, among other foods that have a high content of vitamin C, with Said effect.
- Legumes, especially peanuts, dark green vegetables such as beets and spinach, and whole grains are foods rich in folic acid.
- Carotenoids for colon cancer
Carotenes (a type of flavonoids), specifically beta-carotenes, have an antioxidant function and become vitamin A in the intestine. They also exert this beneficial effect inside it to prevent colon cancer.
We can find them in foods of plant origin, especially those that have a yellow or orange coloration, as for example in carrots and pumpkins; reddish, like tomatoes that are rich in lycopenes, and with a dark green coloration, such as Example some leafy green foods like borage.
Quercetin for colon cancer
Quercetin, is another type of flavonoid. It is also found in foods of plant origin and provides us with an anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory effect, which is very beneficial as a preventive for our intestine and in case of illness.
Eating cabbage prevents colon cancer
Minerals for colon cancer
Some minerals such as calcium also give us anticancer properties. Others such as zinc and selenium also provide us with its antioxidant effect. So we must increase our consumption of foods rich in calcium, foods rich in zinc and foods rich in selenium, for effective prevention.
Algae for colon cancer
Algae have a high concentration of vitamins and minerals that can be of great help to enrich our diet. An example is nori, which has a high content of vitamin A and facilitates digestion.
Spirulina algae is an algae that, in addition to being a reservoir of nutrients, also has a high content of chlorophyll, a substance that is attributed multiple anticancer properties, especially at the level of the colon.
Species or condiments for colon cancer
Curcuma is rich in curcuminoids, anticancer components
Turmeric is an aromatic species that contains a substance called curcuminoids, which is attributed with anticancer properties. But it is not the only one, other species like cardamom, coriander, cumin or also cinnamon, contain beneficial substances, used as preventive of colon cancer.
Nutritional supplements for colon cancer
If only through feeding the contribution of nutrients is not enough, we can evaluate the option to supplement it with nutritional supplements. It is a very easy way to provide nutrients, without increasing the volume of the intakes.
We can supplement our preventive feeding, adding to our usual diet wheat bran, rich in vitamin E, which will bring us its antioxidant effect and its high content of insoluble fiber, which relieves cases of constipation.
We can also supplement with pollen, which is rich in beta-carotene and will help us to regenerate damaged tissues and mucous membranes. It contains enzymes that facilitate digestion, provide a good protein content to ensure its synthesis, etc.
Especially in people who carry out a vegetarian diet, we must ensure the supply of essential fatty acids. Usually, the demands of omega 6, are easily covered with foods like vegetable oils, but in the case of omega 3, it is more complicated and can break the balance of 3/1.
If, with our usual diet, we do not meet the needs of this essential fatty acid, we can supplement our diet with oily fish oil beads, because of their high content in EPA and DHA (two very long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids), with highly anticancerous effect.
More plants with anticancer substances
Garlic, onions and radishes (especially rich in methane-thiol), contain volatile sulfur substances with anticancer effects. To take advantage of its benefits, if we not tolerate well neither raw garlic nor raw onions, we can also make a tisane of radish seeds.
Echinacea supplements are very good to prevent colon cancer
Other plants that may help prevent the onset of colon cancer are:
- Echinacea that stimulates our immune system and helps protect us from external aggression
- Infusion of cascara sagrada, which relieves constipation
- Noni which is another plant from Polynesia, may be helpful as a preventive against colon cancer because of its multiple properties (See more information about noni for cancer)
- Alfalfa and alfalfa sprouts, which provides us with a substance called isoflavones, which are attributed with beneficial effects in some types of cancers.
* Related information:
– Colon cancer complications
More information on colon cancer.
10 December, 2020