- 1 Vegetarian diet for hyperthyroidism
- 1.1 GOOD FOOD FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
- 1.2 Food rich in caffeic and chlorogenic acids for hypertyroidism
- 1.3 Ellagic acid-rich foods for hypertyroidism
- 1.4 Plant food rich in rosmarinic acid for hyperthyroidism
- 1.5 Plant food rich in lithium for hyperthyroidism
- 1.6 BAD FOOD FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
- 1.7 Food that must be avoided by hyperthyroidism patients
Vegetarian diet for hyperthyroidism
GOOD FOOD FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
Diet can play an important role in controlling hyperthyroidism, helping other conventional treatments to improve the conditions of those who suffer them.
Adequate foods are those that decrease the production of thyroxine, the hormone that controls metabolism and emotional states. Among them we mention the following:
Food rich in caffeic and chlorogenic acids for hypertyroidism
Peanuts are good for people having hypertyroidism
- Foods of the family of the Cruciferae: All of these members contain natural compounds that decrease the production of thyroid hormones, primarily because they inhibit the absorption of iodine.
Cabbage: has caffeic and chlorogenic acids which give it antithyroidal properties.
Radish: Another member of the crucifer family that can help control the excessive production of hormones that cause hyperthyroidism. (Eat this food)
Brussels sprouts: Due to its caffeic acid content it may help in the treatment of hyperthyroidism.
Legumes: peanuts are also very rich in chlorogenic and caffeic acid.
- Other foods rich in caffeic acid are: celery, oranges, lemons, pumpkins, figs, or lettuce
- Other foods rich in chlorogenic acid are: peppers, cucumbers, carrots, avocados, plums, eggplants, peaches, or wheat.
Ellagic acid-rich foods for hypertyroidism
Pomegranate is recommended in the hyperthyroidism diet
- Fleshy fruit, pomegranate or grape that have a high content of ellagic acid that helps decrease the production of thyroid hormones.
- Dried fruits: chestnuts or nuts, also rich in ellagic acid.
Plant food rich in rosmarinic acid for hyperthyroidism
- Edible herbs: Borage: One of the richest plant in rosmarinic acid, a component that possesses anti-hypertiroidal properties. (Eat boiled borage)
Plant food rich in lithium for hyperthyroidism
BAD FOOD FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
Food that must be avoided by hyperthyroidism patients
Strawberries contain too much iodine, so they are not good for people with hyperthyroidism
All those foods that increase production of thyroxine, mainly hyperthyroidal food, producing an increase in thyroid output, are not suitable for hyperthyroidism patients. These would be foods high in iodine content.
- Among the major iodine-rich foods we have: garlic, oats, coconut, hazelnut, strawberries, soy, sunflower, lentils, tomatoes, apples, mangos, dates, pistachios, cashews, Brazil nuts, pineapples, peas, almonds, apricots, spinach, beans or maize.
- Herbs or species to be avoided: fennel, hyssop, ground ivy, ginseng, cinnamon.
- Seaweeds: most contain much iodine, especially the species Fucus vesiculosus
- Among the animal foods rich in iodine we have seafood
More information on hyperthyroidism.
11 January, 2021